Sunday, January 18, 2009
Thought I'd start my first blog with a small daylily study I did in colored pencil - it's an 9 x 10 on white, bristol paper. I decided to use a black ink wash for the background after I found the white background made the flower look too flat and the black background seems to be more dramatic. I've worked on black paper with colored pencil before and have had trouble getting intense colors, so I think using the black ink this way may solve that problem. I do know that other colored pencils artists will apply an "underpainting" of white or cream over black paper to help make top layers of color more intense. That method doesn't seem to work well for me but may be worth experimenting with if you're having the same problem.
I also like the way the light hits on areas of the pedals - I want to work on that effect more. The center of the flower could probably use more darks too.
Labels: colored pencils