Sunday, April 12, 2009

Insect Art

I've always been fascinated with insects and think they're an interesting subject to draw. I like to draw them larger then life to bring out their beautiful colors and detail. My interest in insects is probably the main reason I enjoy doing scientific illustration.
I like drawing from life, using a magnifying glass to get all the fine details. This one was done from a very good quality photo - something that isn't always easy to find.
I have a small insect collection and have found the Internet to be a great source for collecting. I also go to museums to look at insects that are not commonly found where I live.
This is colored pencil on Stonehenge paper, 8 x 11 inches.


2 comments:

  1. Very colorful! I think thats why I like your drawings so much! Vibrant colors and clean lines. Keep up the great work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really nice and I remember your other insect which I loved. They do make fascinating subjects to draw. Your colours are stunning.

    ReplyDelete